Please enable JavaScript to experience the full functionality of GMX.

Benjamin Mendy refused bail for the third time

Benjamin Mendy has been refused bail for a third time.

The 27-year-old left-back is accused of attacking three women at his home between October 2020 and August 2021 and is currently being held at HMP Altcourse.

Mendy, who is yet to enter pleas for the four counts, wasn't present at the hearing, which was held at Chester Crown Court.

The former Monaco player was charged in August with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in 2020, and the sexual assault of a woman in January, and is also charged with raping a woman in August.

His trial date has been set for January 24.

After Mendy was charged in August, Manchester City suspended him.

The club said in a statement at the time: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

Last month EA, who manufacture the hugely popular FIFA football computer games, said they'd suspended Mendy from the game "while he's awaiting trial".

They told Eurogamer: "As Benjamin Mendy has been removed from the active rosters of both Manchester City and the French National team, in FIFA 22 he has also been removed from respective rosters and suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft while he is awaiting trial."

Sponsored Content